News

US military readies first migrant deportation flight to Guantanamo Bay

The U.S. military will fly a small group of migrants to its base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, on Tuesday, as the Trump administration pledges to use the site as a mass deportation detention center. Ten migrants are on the flight, transported like previous groups on large C-17 cargo planes, said a defense official, granted anonymity to discuss the plans. Unlike other deportation flights, which have sen...[Read More]

US military’s mini space shuttle returns to Earth after secret mission

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — The U.S. military’s classified mini space shuttle returned to Earth on Friday after circling the world for 434 days. The space plane blasted into orbit from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in December 2023 on a secret mission. Launched by SpaceX, the X-37B vehicle carried no people, just military experiments. Its predawn touchdown at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California was...[Read More]

US moves 11 Guantanamo detainees after two-plus decades without charge

The Pentagon said Monday it had transferred 11 Yemeni men to Oman this week after holding them for more than two decades without charge at the U.S. naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The transfer was the latest and biggest push by the Biden administration in its final weeks to clear Guantanamo of the last remaining detainees there who were never charged with a crime. The latest release brings the...[Read More]

US Naval Academy Ends Affirmative Action in Admissions

The change in policy was made in February by Vice Adm. Yvette Davids, the academy’s superintendent, in response to an executive order issued by President Donald Trump in January.

US Naval Academy ends affirmative action in admissions

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — The U.S. Naval Academy will no longer consider race, ethnicity or sex as a factor for admission to the service institution, a response to an executive order by President Donald Trump, according to federal court documents made public Friday. The change in policy was made in February by Vice Adm. Yvette Davids, the academy’s superintendent, in response to an executive order issued b...[Read More]

US Naval Academy gets first Marine superintendent

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Lt. Gen. Michael Borgschulte became the first Marine Corps officer to be superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy in its 180-year history on Friday. Borgschulte was deputy commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs in Quantico, Virginia, before being nominated to be the 66th superintendent of the military academy in Annapolis. Borgschulte, who graduated from the academy in 1991, ...[Read More]

US Naval Academy Gets First Marine Superintendent

Lt. Gen. Michael Borgschulte graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1991.

US Navy and Royal Brunei Armed Forces Commence CARAT Brunei 2024

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei – The U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, and Royal Brunei Armed Forces (RBAF) commenced Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) Brunei 2024, Nov. 18.

US Navy Apologizes for the 1882 Obliteration of a Tlingit Village in Alaska

The attack was one of a series of conflicts between the American military and Alaska Natives in the years after the U.S. bought the territory from Russia in 1867.

US Navy Awards Connecticut’s Electric Boat Another $12 Billion for Salaries, 2 Submarines

The U.S. Navy announced that it has awarded another $12.4 billion to General Dynamics Electric Boat as payment for two previously authorized Virginia-class submarines, as well as salary increases for shipyard workers.

US Navy chief information officer announces retirement

The head of the U.S. Navy’s cybersecurity and information hub will leave her post after nearly two years in the position. Jane Overslaugh Rathbun, the service’s chief information officer, announced her retirement in a Friday LinkedIn post. “It is with gratitude, pride, and humility that I close out this chapter of my career as a civil servant,” Rathbun said. She listed some of her many accomplishm...[Read More]

US Navy christens nuclear submarine USS Arkansas

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — The nuclear submarine Arkansas was christened Saturday, almost a decade in the making since the U.S. Navy announced that a Virginia-class submarine would bear the state’s name. Carlotta Walls LaNier, one of the nine Black students who desegregated Little Rock Central High School in 1957, launched a bottle of sparkling wine into the hull of the Virginia-class submarine at Newpor...[Read More]

Lost Password